A simple French Potato with Fresh Herbs – tarragon, parsley and chives, with a flavorful dijon vinaigrette. This salad recipe is healthy, vegan and light with gluten – free!
Quick, savory, and easy, this French Potato Salad is simple to make, yet deeply satisfying. It pairs well with so many things and is perfect for gatherings and potlucks. It highlights fresh colorful potatoes that are abundant right at so many fun varieties to choose from.
Here we’ve used purple fingerlings, German butterball, red potatoes, and Yukon golds. Play around with different varieties for diverse flavor, shape, and color. Thin-skinned potatoes work best here. Fresh herbs like tarragon, parsley, and chives enhance the flavors making it taste. Tarragon adds a unique complexity to the salad, and is a classic ingredient in true French Potato – but if you wish, you can substitute different tender herbs like basil or dill. The flavors are more intense warm or at room temperature but still quite good served chilled. A perfect end-of-summer salad or side dish!
Slice the potatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Cover with water and add the salt. Add whole garlic cloves to the simmering water. While the potatoes simmer and soften (about 5 minutes) make the Dijon Vinaigrette and chop the fresh herbs. Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly. Then gently toss the potatoes in a bowl with the flavorful Dijon dressing and the fresh herbs.Serve immediately or at room temperature, or feel free to chill it! It will keep for 4 days in the fridge.
French Potato with Fresh Herbs Ingredients
- 2 pounds fresh potatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick (little, thin-skinned potatoes work best here)
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt
- 2 large garlic cloves
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
¼ cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar or just vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, roughly chopped (or sub 1/4 cup dill or basil ribbons)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives (or sub green onions), minced
French Potato with Fresh Herbs Instructions
- Boil the Potatoes: Place the sliced potatoes in a large saucepan cover completely with cold water. Sprinkle in salt and bring to a boil. Add the 2 cloves of garlic, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- Make the Vinaigrette: While potatoes are simmering, make the vinaigrette by whisking together dijon, oil, vinegar and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Assemble: Drain potatoes and garlic. Place potatoes mostly single layer on a baking sheet to cool. Mince the cooked garlic and add to the vinaigrette. Drizzle the vinaigrette evenly over the warm potatoes. Let sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve: Add to a serving bowl gently tossing with the chopped fresh herbs. Serve at room temp or refrigerate and chill.
- If you want to use vegan mayonnaise: You can dilute 2 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise with a little olive oil and lemon sauce and spread it over the salad.
- This can be done in advance and refrigerated for up to 4 days. keep in the refrigerator.
french potato with fresh herbsCourse: Salads, AppetizersCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Beginner
A simple French Potato with Fresh Herbs – tarragon, parsley and chives, with a flavorful dijon vinaigrette. This salad recipe is healthy, vegan and light with gluten-free!